Audiobooks are immersive, educational, instructional, entertaining and they’re perfect for the time rich and the time poor.
Audiobooks can also change the way we listen, read and learn, improving the literacy of young readers and those for whom English is a second language.
There are plenty of benefits to regularly listening to audiobooks, including:
- Increasing reading accuracy by 52%
- Increasing reading speed, expanding vocabulary and improving fluency
- Teaching pronunciation
- Improving comprehension by 76%; and
- Increasing test scores by 21% when engaged in multi-modal learning.
Not to mention:
- 27% of the Kindergarten to Year 12 population are auditory learners
- Students can listen and comprehend two grade levels above their reading level when regularly listening to audiobooks; and
- Combining print and audio increases recall by 40% over print alone.
Listening is the first language skill that we acquire and 85% of what we learn, we learn by listening. For those young learners who have difficulty reading, listening to Audiobooks can make learning a much easier process. It also makes it inclusive and fun!
There are endless reasons why audiobooks are an essential part of learning – time to get the kids listening anywhere and everywhere!