Are you concerned about whether you can trust the internet? Too scared to use internet banking? You’re not alone. Here are some helpful tips from our Librarians:
- Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date. You might not need an expensive internet security suite, but you do need anti-virus software. AVG Free is a commonly used one.
- Use a strong password – I know, I know, it’s so hard to remember all those passwords! The Australian Government’s Stay Smart Online website has some great tips for understanding how to create strong passwords and how to stay safe when using internet banking.
- Always access internet banking by typing your bank’s website address directly into the browser address bar.
- Look for the green padlock or https:// when using internet banking or online shopping websites. They indicate that the webpage is secure.
Looking for more information?
- Make the most of the free resources available to you through Western Downs Libraries.
- Tech Savvy Seniors user guides are freely available to download.
- Introduction to Cyber Safety: how to stay safe online
- Introduction to Online Banking
- Watch one of the short self-teach videos on Social Networking and Online Security.
If you need some help, just ask one of our library staff! We’re always happy to help.